September 21, 2012

Mistaken Identity

Yesterday I was sitting outside with Angie and Maddie, making chalk art on the driveway, enjoying the afternoon breezes, and observing the squirrels who have become oh-so-active now that acorns are dropping. I drew the children's attention to a squirrel picking up acorns from the driveway across the street.  I glanced around to see if the neighbors' cats were nearby, thinking about what we might witness if they happened to be close.
"Angie, what do you think would happen if Tommy saw that squirrel?" I asked.
She looked at me quizically, a bit startled by the question.  "I don't know," she shrugged. 
"Do you think he'd stalk the squirrel?"  I prompted.
"What does that mean?" she asked, unwilling to commit to a response yet.
"It means that he'd hunker down and sneak towards the squirrel, trying to catch it."
 She nodded her head enthusiastically, "Yes!"  Then she added, "But why would he do that?" 
"To eat the squirrel," I said. 
"He would want to eat it?" she asked, amazed. "But wouldn't Aunt Jennie stop him?"
 Now it was my turn to be puzzled.  "Aunt Jennie?  Which Aunt Jennie?  And why would she be here?"
 "Well, if Tommy was here, wouldn't she be here too?" 
And now I burst out laughing, because it seemed she'd forgotten that the neighbor cat's name is Tommy.  I can't imagine what she was envisioning!

2 comments:

Jennie C. said...

Cracking up over here! :-) And yes, Aunt Jennie would stop him. At least before he got to the eating part. :-)

Sandie said...

Oh my! Though I have to admit... I thought the same thing as I was reading. "Why on earth would you ever suggest such a thing!?" lol :) Love you!