December 04, 2006

A Good Day for Baking

At about 10:30 last night, I was shivering in bed, thinking, "It's never this cold up here," even though upstairs is chillier than downstiars usually. Thinking that maybe the thermostat had been moved accidentally down somehow, I trooped downstairs to check the dial. Though it was set at 70, the temperature in the house was a measly 66 degrees with no tell-tale gurgling of the hot water heat, no familiar whooshing of the furnace . So, I snuck into the utility room to have a look at the furnace. The furnace looked just like a furnace should look and so I crept back upstairs to let my husband know...we have no heat. Scooping Angie from her bed to snuggle in with us, I pulled the covers extra tight around us and burrowed in for the night.

This morning, waking to a 60 degree house, I called PSE&G who assured me that someone would be here between 8:00 and 4:30. Upon hearing that cheering news, I promptly plugged in our two electric heaters and started baking chocolate chip cookies. By 10:30, we had our 60 degree house back up to 67. Angie and I are dressed in double layers, so we won't freeze (not that you can freeze at 60 degrees, but it sure feels like it!) It's amazing how much of a difference a few degrees can make!

No comments: