September 12, 2006

Cream of Tartar

I found out what it is and what it is used for here. I especially like this paragraph:

Cream of tartar is best known in our kitchens for helping stabilize and give more volume to beaten egg whites. It is the acidic ingredient in some brands of baking powder. It is also used to produce a creamier texture in sugary desserts such as candy and frosting. It is used commercially in some soft drinks, candies, bakery products, gelatin desserts, and photography products. Cream of tartar can also be used to clean brass and copper cookware.



Nice to know we eat something that can clean brass!

3 comments:

Jennie C. said...

If I recall, you can also use baking soda (with aluminum foil) to polish silver, as well as whiten your clothes and deoderize your diaper pail. Vinegar acts as a disinfectant in the wash, too, and also a whitener. I've been using it instead of bleach because it doesn't eat up the clothes. (I have NEVER bleached my expensive diapers because I saw what frequent bleaching did to my last batch! And they are surprisingly white.)

Anonymous said...

There are lots of things we eat or drink that clean things too.

I believe Worchestshire sauce also cleans brass and I think copper.

Vinegar is good for many things including cleaning copper.

Club soda is great for stains.

And I know the list goes on and on.
Mommy

Beckie Russell said...

The article I linked to says that almost everything we eat is acidic with only a select few being basic, so it stands to reason that they'd be good at cleaning things. . .