June 23, 2006

Revisiting Huntington

So, Huntington is not as bad as I thought it was. Their goal is to improve particular skills, rather than overall understanding and education. Children who enroll take a diagnostic test which pinpoints which skills are weak, for example, identifying the main idea of a paragraph or recognizing "sight" words. Then, they are given a "perscription", a list of lessons they will use to learn the particular skills. The materials are very focused and pointed; they only address a single specific skill. So, as long as a child completes the lessons, they will eventually figure it out. When they get questions wrong, a teacher goes over the correct answers with them, asking the student to explain why they chose what they did and how to tell what the right answer was.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of subject specific tutoring there because final exams were under way the last two weeks, but now I'll be manning the "floor" as they call it, and mixing it up with the general population. It shouldn't be too hard, but it'll be interesting.

I'll be training to do SAT tutoring soon too, which will help me when I do my private tutoring. All in all, not too bad.

2 comments:

The Davison Family said...

I'm glad it's not as bad as you originally thought. Sounds like it could be very benificial to the children who attend. I wish I had time to do one on one diagnostics with my students like that.

Beckie Russell said...

I have a feeling that there are computerized diagnostic tests out there already that you could use to assess your kids. Unfortunately, the kind of remedial work they need to do in order to master the missing skills might take a lot of time that you don't usually have in public school, what with the regular curriculum to cover.